Tuesday, May 14 at 5:30pm to 8:30pm
Wesley Foundation Center 2520 Harris St, Eugene, OR 97405
In this series, you will build the necessary skills to work successfully with the challenges and opportunities presented by the increasing racial and cultural diversity and multicultural dynamics of our communities, schools, organizations and agencies.
The sessions will be led by Dr. Johnny Lake, Educator and Advocate for Children. These sessions will develop a learning community for collaboration around institutional and community equity.
The series is based on who is in the room and what conversation wants to happen; we plan the activities based on participant input. We're encouraging folks to register with co-workers, parents or allies from their organizations and schools.
Proposed topics include:
- Defining Identity, Race, Culture, Ethnicity and Other Terms
- How Identity Works Socio-Political and Socio-Historical Contexts
- Understanding Stereotypes, Prejudice, Discrimination, and Racism
- Learning about Advocacy, Equity, and Social Justice
- Building Community Working Beyond Race and Identity Issues
"When we commit to a course of multicultural development, we commit to equity and justice, and we also commit to learn, grow and change." -Dr. Johnny Lake